Saturday, January 14, 2012

Perfect Poetry-First Readings and Interpretations

Reading and Interpreting Poems
 Favorite Poems Old and New
selected by Helen Farris
Our first poetry study day-We read 5 poems from our book:
My Family and I
1)The Cupboard-Walter de la Mare
pg. 42
2) Animal Crackers-Christopher Morley pg. 43
3) A Popcorn Song-Nancy Byrd Turner pg. 45

My Almanac
1) White Fields-James Stephens pg. 66
2) Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening-Robert Frost pg. 67

Rootbeer's Favorite: White Fields by James Stephens

1. In the wintertime we go
Walking in the fields of snow;

Where there is no grass at all;
Where the top of every wall,

Every fence and every tree,
Is as white as white can be.

2. Pointing out the way we came,
Every one of them the same.

All across the field there be
Prints in silver filigree;

And our mothers always know,
By the footprints in the snow,
Where it is the children go.


His reason for liking it was that he liked how the snow made the footprints easy for mother to find her children.

My long-time Favorite: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

 Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
My reason is simply this, my older sister used to recite it to me when I was a little girl-A wonderfully
unforgettable memory!!